Beginning from Guwahati, this escapade takes you to the appealing hill station of Shillong, where you get to explore the sacred forests of Mawphlang and mingle with the people of the namesake village. The views from the summit of Shillong Peak, at approximately 6500 feet above sea level, will leave you spellbound. After Shillong, you visit the tiny village of Mawlynnong, famed as Asia’s cleanest village, and Rawai, known for a living root bridge. The third day of Meghalaya caving adventure ends with you reaching Dawki town and spending the night in a camp on the banks of the Goyain River. Next day, you get to indulge in kayaking and zip lining.
During your time in Cherrapunjee, credited as the wettest place in the world, you get the opportunity to explore caves. Caving in Meghalaya is one of the fastest growing adventure activities, gaining fame among locals as well as tourists. A 3-hour venture in the Krem Mawmluh will get you crawling, climbing and crossing river passages. On the next day, explore the surroundings of Cherrapunjee by going for a trek. Trekking in Meghalaya is popular, owing to the existence of living root bridges. Here, you will even get to see the double decker living root bridges.
Day 01: Guwahati to Shillong (100 km | 3-4 hours)
After pickup from Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport, begin the adventurous road trip. Your first destination on this jaunt is Shillong. On reaching the charming hill station, transfer to the hotel to spend the night.
Day 02: Sightseeing in Shillong
On this day, get to explore the serene surroundings of Shillong, starting with the forests of Mawphlang. Considered sacred since time immemorial, the jungle is home to diverse species of trees, some of which are even more than 1000 years old. Here, you can pay respect to the sacred groves and seek blessings for the Meghalaya adventure trip ahead.
During your time in Mawphlang village, get the chance to interact with the Khasi people and learn about their culture and traditions. It is one of the last villages in Meghalaya that has kept its heritage intact for centuries. On your way back to the hill station, halt at the famous Shillong Peak. Rising to an altitude of almost 6500 feet, the peak is the highest point in Shillong. While here, capture panoramic views of the verdant hill station. Have lunch, and later watch Siat Khnam, a traditional Khasi archery game. After the game, retreat to the hotel and enjoy a good night’s sleep.
Day 03: Shillong – Mawlynnong – Dawki (100 km | 4 hours)
Post breakfast, this amazing tour takes you to Mawlynnong – famed as the cleanest village in Asia. This small, quaint establishment, laden with colourful flowers, has less than 100 households. Strolling around the village, you get the chance to mingle with the warm and hard-working locals.
After soaking in the tranquillity of the place, walk to the nearby village of Riwai to marvel at the fascinating living root bridges that are endemic to only this part of the world. These bridges have been a major aid for the local people in crossing rivers and narrow streams. Later, continue the journey to Dawki town and spend the night in your camp beside the gushing Goyain River.
Day 04: Adventure Activities near Dawki
In the morning, head to the pristine Umngot River to enjoy kayaking. Use the paddle to traverse the sparkling river. As you float over the surface of the water, your eyes will be treated to mesmerising views of the lush surroundings. If you feel tired, you can just jump into the river and enjoy a few laps.
In the latter half of the day, indulge in the thrill of zip lining. The landscape will look even more captivating when you are flying tens of feet above it. Spend the evening beside a bonfire, sharing stories with your friends, and then have a good night’s sleep in the comfortable tents.
Day 05: Leisure Time in Dawki | Dawki to Cherrapunjee (85 km | 4 hours)
You can make use of the day by going for a swim or country boat ride to enjoy the waters of the river for one last time. In the afternoon, embark on a road trip to Cherrapunjee. On reaching the town, transfer to the hotel and rest.
Day 06: Caving Trip to Krem Mawmluh
Today, you get to enjoy the thrill and excitement of caving in Meghalaya. Krem Mawmluh, one of the longest caves in India, is known for stalagmites and stalactites formations. The cavern runs for about 7000 metres in the Khasi Hills. The cave contains several river passages, pools that can be waist deep and sections where explorers have to crawl or climb.
A 45-minute trek around Cherrapunjee will take you to the mouth of the Krem Mawmluh, from where your Meghalaya caving adventure begins. Put on your safety gear and venture into the cave for a 3-hour journey of climbing, crawling and swimming. An expert guide will lead you into the intriguing world of stalagmites and stalactites. After caving Krem Mawmluh, travel back to the hotel and enjoy a refreshing sleep.
Day 07: Trek to Double Decker Root Bridges
Trekking in the surroundings of Cherrapunjee, you get the opportunity to admire the lush landscape from close. The highlight of the trek are the double decker living root bridges, found only in Meghalaya. The living root bridges are a marvel in themselves, and the double decker ones are exceptionally astonishing. These bridges are believed to be able to support the weight of tens of people, and crossing rivers through them will surely be a unique and worthwhile experience for you. Read more about these bridges here.
The trek takes you on steep slopes and to numerous natural ponds. Those, who wish to take a dip in the emerald waters of the ponds can go ahead and lose all the exhaustion of the trek. On this trail, you descend about 2500 feet to reach a placid valley and ascend the same height. Later, conclude this trekking in Meghalaya experience and retreat to the hotel in Cherrapunjee to spend the night.
Day 08: Cherrapunjee to Guwahati | Departure from Guwahati (150 km | 4.5 hours)
Starting early in the morning, transfer to Guwahati to board your flight from Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport. This amazing tour ends with enthralling memories of Meghalaya.
|Places||Night( s)||Hotels / Camps|
|Shillong||02||M Crown Hotel|
|Cherrapunji||03||7 Sisters Falls View Inn|
– Welcome with fresh flower garlands.
– Meet assist at airport and hotels.
– 07 Nights hotel accommodation.
– Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.
– A dedicated vehicle for the duration of the trip
– Expert english speaking guide
– All necessary equipment required for kayaking and caving.
– Permits for Kayaking and caving.
– All taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.