Mountain bike down the Kali Gandaki gorge, the deepest valley on earth. Experience the awesome single track of the Lupra valley and descend over 3000m from Muktinath down to the temperate lowlands.
DAY 01 Arrival in Kathmandu
You will be met at Tribhuvan International airport by our representative and taken to the hotel which is located in the heart of the tourist district of Kathmandu, Thamel (approximately a 30-minute drive).
There will then be time to check over the bikes, with our crew member on standby to assist with any mechanical issues.
Depending on your arrival time, there may be time to explore the streets, sights and shops of Thamel or to relax after your journey, before joining your guides for an early evening welcome meal, where they will explain more about the coming days tour and activities.
DAY 02 Kathmandu to Pokhara
Whilst you enjoy your breakfast, the luggage and bikes will be loaded onto the tour vehicle for the transfer to Pokhara (the bikes will continue to Jomsom ready for your arrival on Day 3).
After breakfast you will be transferred to Kathmandu domestic airport for the 25-minute flight to the Lakeside town of Pokhara. OR alternatively you will be collected from your hotel for the approximate 8-hour transfer via bus. This option will be chosen at the time of booking.
On arrival in Pokhara, you will check into the hotel which will leave plenty of time in the afternoon and evening to stretch the legs and explore the town.
DAY 03 Pokhara to Kagbeni via Jomsom
Biking Distance: 14km
There are 2 options today!
Option 1: Following an early nutritious breakfast, a short transfer will be made to Pokhara airport to catch a scenic morning flight to Jomsom, which takes approximately 20-minutes. The flight takes you above the Pokhara valley and deep into the heart of the Himalayas. This is where you can get your first real glimpses of the mighty Himalaya mountain ranges, including the breathtaking mountain views of Dhaulagiri and the Annapurna. Please bear in mind that these flights are weather dependent and can sometimes be delayed or cancelled at the last minute. Once you have landed in Jomsom, there will be time to get kitted up and have a hot drink before the ensuing ride. The riding will be an easy 14km on mainly flat terrain to allow your body to adapt to the increase in altitude. The night’s accommodation will be at the beautiful Tibetan village of Kagbeni.
Option 2: A nice and early start, and straight onto the jeep for the 8-hour transfer to Kagbeni. You’ll start on sealed road, but this will soon turn into bumpy jeep-track and you’ll start to get a glimpse of what riding in the Himalayas is all about! Imagine deep valley gorges, snow-capped mountains & river passes. You will get to stop off for lunch and enjoy the spectacular scenery whilst taking in the stunning views around you, before finally reaching your destination of the day – Kagbeni.
DAY 04 Kagbeni to Muktinath via Jhong
Biking Distance: 18km
Upon leaving Kagbeni, there will be an uphill ride to Muktinath which is at an elevation of 3900m.
The route continues, by climbing the trail to the north side of the gorge and on a dusty jeep track, which heads towards the mighty Thorong La Pass via the village of Jhong. In Jhong, you can stop to catch your breath whilst explore the ancient monastery and then have lunch basking in the sunshine whilst enjoying the stunning mountain views.
The final section after lunch will be short and you should arrive in Muktinath around mid-afternoon. You can spend this time to explore the local village including monasteries and temples with your guide, or simply have some time to rest.
DAY 05 Muktinath to Marpha
Biking Distance: 26km
An early breakfast and start will be needed for Day 5, due to the high winds in the valley that start to pick up around 11.00am. They can make the ride very tough! The day starts with a slow ascent to Lupra Pass, where you will get to see the breathtaking views of Dhaulagiri and the Annapurna ranges.
Once you get to the top of the pass, you will ride a fast stretch of downhill until you reach the river valley, from where there is a 6km flat section leading to Jomsom.
After lunch in Jomsom, the trail undulates along the river until you reach Marpha. For the more experienced and technical riders there are some alternative beautiful, fun and technical single-track options to take.
Marpha is famous for growing apples and making apple brandy and cider, so be sure to sample some local produce in the evening!
DAY 06 Marpha to Tatopani
Biking Distance: 42km
The trail from Marpha is mostly downhill to Tatopani. The trail starts gentle and flat through pine forests and small villages, where you will follow the river, and on a clear day, see stunning views of the snowcapped peaks. The lunch stop will be at the flowing waterfalls at Rukse Chaahara.
With lunch finished, you will continue to ride fast-paced downhill as the trail drops approximately 1000 meters on rough jeep track before you finally reach Tatopani. Tatopani is a cobbled street village, famous for its rejuvenating hot springs at which you can enjoy a well-deserved soak to ease any tired muscles.
DAY 07 Tatopani to Beni onwards to Pokhara
Biking Distance: 23km or 100km
Day 7 will be the final guided ride, taking you on jeep tracks which are predominantly flat but have a few ‘Nepali flat’ sections of up and down to remind you that you are still in the Himalayas! The final destination is Beni where the guides will load the bikes up, and you will transfer by jeep back to Pokhara for a well-earned rest and perhaps a beer or 2!
For those who want to continue the journey to Pokhara by bike, rather than the bumpy jeep ride, there is an option to ride all the way to Pokhara from Tatopani, which will mean an extra 77km of riding.
DAY 08 Pokhara to Kathmandu transfer
After breakfast you will return to Kathmandu via a 25-minute short plane journey or 8 hours return on the bus.
Once back in Kathmandu, there will be time in the afternoon for some trinket shopping or to explore some of the many temples and places of interest in the city.
Please let us know at the time of booking if you would prefer to stay in Pokhara a few extra days to check out some of the adventurous (or leisurely!) activities that it has to offer!
DAY 09 Departure
Transfer to the airport or continue with additional itinerary.
|City||Night (s)||Hotels / Camps|
|Pokhara||01||Waterfront Resort by KGH|
|Pokhara||01||Waterfront Resort by KGH|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– Welcome with fresh flower garlands.
– 08 Nights hotel accommodation.
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– Supply of refreshments Water, Juice, Cold Drinks, Sweets, Candies, Fresh Fruits, Muffins during the bike ride.
– All other services required during the BIKE RIDE.
– Farewell Gala Dinner.
– Accompanying English-speaking guide, assistant staff, marking staff.
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Entrance fees to monuments.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.